Thursday, November 6, 2014

The Twelve Tags of Christmas - Funkie Junkie style - Week Three



Hi Everyone,

I'm back again, with my third project in The Funkie Junkie 12 tags of Christmas challenge.  Follow the link to the instructions for playing along.  While you're visiting Linda's blog, be sure to check out what all of the other participants have been creating.  There is an amazing array of beautiful Christmas goodness!  I've been having as much fun seeing what everyone else is creating as I am making my own pieces.  (I'm too intimidated  to look before I do my tags, so I save them as a special treat after I have posted mine.)

Here is Linda's week 3 inspiration tag.  You can read all about it here:




The large metallic snowflake is what immediately caught my eye.  What can I say, I'm a sucker for snowflakes every time!  They are one of my very favorite winter symbols.  As I said yesterday, this time, I went in a very different direction for my piece.


I wanted to fill one of the smaller square spaces in my printer's tray, so I needed to narrow my focus.  I created my metallic snowflake by cutting four cardstock snowflakes, (with my trusty Silver Bullet Pro digital die cutter, of course) and stacked and glued them.  Any old scrap of cardstock will work, because it all gets covered with foil tape.  I used duct tape from the hardware store (via DH), but really, the foil sheets made specifically for crafting are much shinier than mine. 

The Funkie Junkie Boutique, the sponsor of this challenge, carries Ranger Foil Tape sheets,  as well as the Vintaj Metal Sheets that Linda used in her lovely inspiration piece. 

I adhered my snowflake stack to a piece of cardstock (again, color doesn't matter) that I had cut to size.  I placed my foil tape on top, and started by using my fingers to burnish the foil to bring out the details of the snowflake.  Next I moved on to a knitting needle for the detail work.  If you don't have a knitting needle handy you could use a bone folder.   After much burnishing to bring out the snowflake details, I used the very tip of my knitting needle to add some lines outwardly radiating lines.

Next, I covered the entire piece with Black Soot Distress Paint, dried it slightly with my heat gun, and rubbed some off with a paper towel.  I used my sanding block across the top of the piece to highlight the snowflake.  As a final touch, I adhered flat backed pearls. 

I really enjoyed going off the rails a bit with this project.  I love grungy metallic elements, and this little piece fills that bill.  I do want to go back and use Linda's gorgeous background technique to fill another space in my tray.  Luckily for me, there are 20 spaces to fill!


Here's my tray with the first three projects installed. 

Thanks for visiting!

Elizabeth

1 comment:

  1. This is so cool, Elizabeth! Love the way you created your snowflake stack. Great work with the duct tape and the knitting needles - the way you created the rays is just wonderful! Can't wait to see how this one looks in the printer's tray. It will be a super addition!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are very much appreciated!