I finally finished my latest altered project. Again, I used a frame from the local thrift store to create this piece I designed to hold my daughter's keys and or necklaces in her dorm room. Also again, I forgot to take a before pic!
As you can see, I used lots of items and techniques to make a shabby chic/vintage piece for her. It all started with a piece of cream colored cardstock, which I embossed with a template cut using a favorite Penny Duncan Creations SVG file. After embossing, I used the "negative space" from the cut as a mask, to stamp text on the raised portion of the embossing. I hope that makes sense. You will be able to see it better in some of the close-ups that follow. I also used the mask when sponging on some green Distress Ink.
For my next background layer, I stamped a variety of vintage text, and tiny vintage pictorial stamps; keys, bees, clocks etc., using Distress Inks and Archival inks, in browns, pinks, and greens. Then I applied Distress ink randomly with foam applicators.
As I started laying out my vintage elements, I decided that the background wasn't interesting enough yet, so I cut some tiny tags using my Black Cat Cougar from Sherri at That's Scrap, Inc.. I stamped and inked these with the same tiny vintage stamps, and glued them on behind some of the major pieces, such as...
... this little spoon, that DD and I found at a local antique shop earlier this summer. I used Tim Holtz Remnant Rubs to add a bit of motherly advice. Couldn't help myself! The brooch behind it is from Recollections. It has a nice pink butterfly that is obscured by the glare. The tickets were inked with Distress Inks.
I added some charms and buttons. I thought it was high time I started using up some of my vintage button collection. Between the family button boxes (or tobacco tins) that I have cadged from the attic over the years, and the bags of vintage buttons that I have purchased, I have quite a stash. The clock and the music charms are Tim Holtz Idea-ology Custom Fasteners. The metallic flower is from Recollections. I added Distress Paints to coordinate with my project.
After attaching the two vintage glass knobs, I decided that the piece really needed another crystal element, so I pulled out this chandelier glass and dangled it from a Tim Holtz Idea-ology Ring Fastener.
This is a photo copy of one of the vintage trading cards I found in the attic recently. I distressed and curled the edges, added some (you guessed it!) Distress inks, and mounted it on a piece of inked cardstock. I made a second smaller copy, cut the roses out and popped them on with foam dots and brushed on just a bit of Rock Candy Distress Stickles for some vintage sparkle. Next, I added a stick pin that matches the one on DD's Prom corsage.
Finally, I added a metal label bracket that fell off one of my many photo storage boxes, and got tossed in the "mixed media" box. It was the perfect place to add one more bit of life advice.
I added some Tarnished Brass Distress Paint to age it a bit. I used the same paint to color the brads that I put in the screw holes of the glass knobs. (I attached the knobs and the bracket to the frame with E-6000 adhesive.)
Speaking of the frame, instead of sanding it down, repainting it, and distressing it, I decided to cover it with paper. This might sound difficult, but with my Black Cat Cougar and SCAL software, I was able to quickly design and cut the brown floral paper pieces. I simply adhered them to the frame with Yes Paste. I may never paint another frame!
Thanks for stopping by to check out my project.
Have a terrific day!
P.S. OK, it took three rounds of photos to get good ones! Sorry if you caught the poor ones I posted last night.