Hope you are having a good week. Hard to believe it is half over, isn't it? Over the last couple of weeks, I have been working on my first mixed media canvas. I started with an inspiration piece that I found online here. I really liked the Long Live Love freebie. I printed it, and colored it, and pulled some photos to go with it, and tried and tried to turn it all into a canvas.... Didn't work!
Instead, I used the photos I had pulled and lots of other things, but NOT the original inspiration piece, to make this canvas:
I had used pinks and turquoise to color some of the lettering in the "Long Live Love" inspiration, so I used those colors to start layering my background. By the time I stood back and looked at my work, it had a decidedly "Punky Brewster/Full House/Golden Girls color theme going on. I decided to go with that flow, and added the tar gel drizzles, which I colored with Worn Lipstick Distrss Reinker. Remember all of the paint splattered prints in the 80's?
Here are some close ups of the canvas:
I added Distress Paints and Stains to this ribbon from Really Reasonable Ribbon. I love how it "grunged up". I used alcohol inks to distress the button a bit as well.
To build up the background layers, I used Distress Stains, Tim Holtz Stamps and Archival Ink in Black. I grabbed a Tim Holtzian Die Cut (Confession- I traced an online image of a ViewMaster disk and cut it with my electronic cutter.) and used it as both a mask and a stamp on the background. Later, I used the actual die cut as well.
I brought some recent photos of my family into Make the Cut software using the Pixel Trace feature. I got different effects by turning 3 of the photos into textures, for a typical photo image, and leaving 2 of the photos untexturized for really graphic black and white images. I used some brown Distress Inks to knock down the harsh black and white on the photos.
I layered the photos over a strip of parchment paper that I pressure embossed and attached using tissue tape. I love how the background peeks through.
To make my compostion visually pleasing, I focused on placing all of my elements in groups of three or five, and triangulating the arrangement. I used a lot of Picket Fence Distress Stain and Paint to blend the background elements, and lighten some of the bolder colors. Finally, I added the hand lettered text. (I think that I should practice that a bit next time, instead of going direct to canvas!)
Thanks for bearing with me through this long post (see, I'm assuming you are still here, LOL!)
This weekend, I will be posting some Pinterest inspired projects for a virtual Pinterest Party I am hosting over on the That's Scrap, Inc. Forum. I'm looking forward to having some fun with my forum friends!
Have a terrific weekend, Everyone!