Happy Thursday, Peeps!
Today, I am sharing photos of a project that totally creeps out my children! In the past couple of years, I have developed a penchant for more adult (creepy) Halloween décor. I think it may be the influence of the Harry Potter movies. I love the shabby-elegant dark props in those movies!
Recently, I was intrigued by a post by Roni at Inkstains. Her blog is on my list of favorites, and I check it out regularly. She wrote about a mold for "Frozen Charlotte" dolls. I immediately thought Halloween, and spent my July craft budget on the mold and some other cool mixed media goodies from Articus Studio Design.
Here is what I made with my first batch of Frozen Charlottes:
The dolls were made with flesh colored polymer clay, and baked according to the directions on the box. I added a coat of Gesso, let it dry, and added Distress Inks in Vintage photo, Antique Linen and Old Paper.
I added some tin wings to the largest doll. They were hanging around in my mixed media box, just waiting for the right project. I stamped them with Ranger Archival Ink and a Tim Holtz stamp, and swiped on some Distress Paint in Antique Linen with my finger.
For the background, I used the corrugated cardboard that was on the background of the original piece, ripped some of the top layer off, painted it with Distress paints, stamped it with a Tim Holtz background stamp and Distress Ink in Walnut, and attached some black paper lace. These pieces were cut with my Black Cat Cougar from Sherri at That's Scrap, Inc. I added some of the metallic Distress Inks and Picket Fence Distress Stain to to age them a bit.
I covered the mat with a photo copy of some vintage newsprint. I couldn't resist adding a bit of Distress Inks to this element, too. I finished off the mat with some skeleton keys.
One of my favorite details are these chips of "lead paint". They are the gesso I scraped off my non stick mat after painting the frame. I didn't know what I was going to use them for at the time, but I'm glad I was inspired to save them.
After putting a couple of layers of gesso on the frame, I rubbed on some candle wax from an old taper, spray painted it with flat black paint, let it dry, and rubbed off the areas where the wax was. You can easily see these places, as they are shiny when the rest of the paint is dry. My final step was sanding the some of the edges and corners to give the frame a more antique look.
And finally, here is a photo of where this piece started. It was a $2.99 piece of "art" from the thrift store. I sure like it better now!
Thanks for stopping by today!