Tuesday, January 8, 2013

So much show and tell!



Hi Everyone,

I finally figured out how to work around Blogger's photo posting issues with IE9.  So, instead of the post I worked on over the weekend, I will just post the photos (Yay!) of what I worked on over the weekend, using the tutorials from  Creative Jump Start 2013.

CJS 2 - inspired by Julie Fei-Fan Balzer





For this card, I misted onto cardstock, over a stencil. using a mixture of Distress Reinkers and water in a mini-mister.  After it dried, I used my ink blending tool to blend some more Distress Ink over the stenciled cardstock.  I added some coordinating heart die cuts, and a stamped sentiment, over layers of solid and printed cardstock.  It was fun to break away from tradional seasonal colors and go bright.  I really like this technique.  It adds great interest and movement to what would otherwise be a clean and simple card. 

CJS 3 - Inspired by Heidi Swap







For this card, I used a mask and a stencil simultaneously.  I rarely use either of those items, and never thought of using them together.  I really like the effect for the background, as well as keeping the mask in place while I stamped the floral images.  It took a few tries before I was happy with the results.  I ended up cutting a stencil from Bird's Cards.  I  amazed at how easily I was able to cut the stencil using SCAL software and my electronic cutter.  I cut the first one at 8 inches square, and then decided to reduce it to 4 inches, and the detail cut beautifully at this size too!


CJS 5 - Inspired by Sharon Laakkonen



For this tag, I used two ideas from Sharon's tutorial.  She used a punch to punch shapes from the bottom edge of a tag, and layered it over a piece of patterned paper.  I used my cutter to cut the mittens from the bottom of my tag.  Sharon covered another tag with strips of Washi Tape.  I used some of the Washi Tape that I made last year ( Click here to see it.) and covered a hat shape that was leftover from a bad attempt at CJS 3.  (Love using up my mistakes!)  I realize that I need to add some words to this project, but I haven't decided how to do that yet. 

CJS 6 - Inspired by Natalie Kalbach



This was a really great technique that involved using a stencil, a foam stamp and some acrylic paints.  I didn't have any foam stamps, but it was easy to make one using a basic shape from SCAL, a sheet of foam, a 60 degree blade from Sherri at That's Scrap, and my electronic cutter, which I also purchased from That's Scrap, Inc.. I had never cut foam before, but today was a day for experimentation, and it was really easy as pie.  I stuck it to an acrylic stamp block with some tape from my ATG.  (The stencil I used is the smaller version of Bird's stencil.)

For the card, I stamped both the background paper and the cut out flowers using Natalie's technique.  I layered the cut out flowers with some embossed background papers, and added a little tag with a tiny little sentiment.  (It says "Love You", in case you can't see it.  I wish I had used a darker ink, but the Distress Mustard Seed really matched the card well.) I layered it up with some matching background papers, and there you have it.  A Valentine's card for my older DD. 

Whew!  Its been a long time since I posted 4 projects at once. 

Have a great week!

Elizabeth



1 comment:

  1. These are really great Elizabeth — you're way ahead of me (although I have done two versions of technique #1) :)

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are very much appreciated!