Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Some nice "Pen" fonts:

Hi Everyone!

  I love to use the pen tool accessory with my Black Cat Cougar.  Because my favorite pen is a ball point rather than a marker, the resulting lettering often has a gap between the outlines of the letters.  Every once in a while, I find a font that works really well with the pen, so I decided to examine my entire font collection to see if I could pin down some good "pen fonts".  Fortunately, at this point I am not overwhelmed with fonts, so it only took a few sessions to hone in on some possibilities.

I don't have a font manager, but my cutting software, Make-the-Cut has a really good feature that lets you temporarily add fonts without actually installing them on your hard drive.  After identifying the fonts and copying them to a separate folder, I used MTC to create a page of fonts.  For this experiment, I chose to write the name of the font in that font, and sized each one to 1/2 inch.  I was surprised at the variety of scale within that guideline. 

Last night, while working on piecing together a fun file from my friend Retta over on the Black Cat Forum, I set up my Cougar to "write" my font sample.  It chugged away for quite some time before the 181,000+ nodes of the project overwhelmed MTC and it quit.  No problem, I just cut and pasted the ones that didn't "print" onto a different project page and printed them separately.  Of the 57 possibilities, 11 worked really well.  Here is a "snip" of those fonts:


(Little Days Alt is so similar to Little Days that I did not count it separately).  I'm quite pleased with the variety of fonts that will work.  I think that there are some other possibilites amongst the ones I tested that would work at a smaller size.  I will be experimenting with those soon. 

As far as I know, all of the fonts listed above are free, most of them came to me via the "Fontpack" Yahoo group.  I can't share them, but you should be able to "google" them. 

Have a terrific Wednesday!

5 comments:

  1. How cool Elizabeth! I haven't tried a ball point pen yet...may have to give that a go. Any idea what force you use with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa. I use a force of 45 to 50 with a ball point pen. My force for a blade and paper is generally between 60 and 70.

      Delete
  2. You have such great ideas!!! I love that you made this list!!! Thank you honey! I just love seeing your creativity in the projects you share! You do inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Retta! You made my day. Hugs, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Elizabeth! I found this through the BC USA forum discussion from a few days ago. I have been having such a time trying to figure out what fonts will work with my Cougar. Off to find these fonts! You are the bees knees my friend!!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are very much appreciated!