Monday, January 5, 2015

New Year, New Project....



Happy New Year to All!

I am starting off 2015 with a few crafty commitments, one of which is to complete all twelve of Tim Holtz's monthly tags.  Here is my version of his January tag.


Rather than a tag, I have decided to create pieces to fit this "frame". ( Actually it's the door of a jewelry box that I picked up at the thrift store and broke down into several alterable pieces.  At some point I'll give the frame a more neutral finish, but the orange tones work with this piece, so I can put that off for this month.) 

I was intrigued by Tim's background technique, and followed his detailed tutorial quite closely, using stamped tissue paper rather than tissue wrap.  This was important to me, as my main challenge for 2015 is to make do with supplies on hand, rather than purchasing anything new.  I have plenty of stash, so the hard part of this challenge will be breaking my shopping habit. 

I used my Silver Bullet Cutter and Sure Cuts A Lot software to cut the numbers. 

 
The 15 was cut from gray cardstock.  I embossed it with the Tim Holtz Alterations folder Cracked, then dry brushed it with the Distress Paint colors I used for my background, Evergreen Bough and Mowed Lawn. I spritzed it with water and brushed on a bit of antique silver Perfect Pearls, then lightly applied black soot Distress Ink to the edges.  I backed it with black cardstock to make the number stand out, and popped it up with foam squares.
 
 
I filled the space under the arch with a quote, stamped on a wrinkle free distress background with Archival Ink Leaf Green.  I sparkled it up with a generous layer of Rock Candy Distress Stickles, before layering it with more black cardstock.  I used Distress Paints in Frayed Burlap, Gathered Twig, and Black Soot to give an aged patina to the binder clip. 
 
 
As Tim did in his inspiration, I added  Distress Stained chit chat words, a metal embellishment, and mirrored stars to complete my January 2015 framed art piece. 
 
As always, I am happy that you spent some time with me today.  I wish you all a very happy and healthy 2015!
 
Elizabeth

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are very much appreciated!